Friday, December 2, 2016

December 2, 2016 -- Friday


Warm-up

Two Truths and a Lie (about your teacher)

I worked for Arabian-American Oil Company in New York.  (True.  I was a freight expiditer.)
I played djembe drums with musicians from Mali.  (False.  The truth is that I danced while djembe drummers from Mali were playing their drums.)
I kissed Christopher Walken. (True, but it was in a play, so it really didn't count as a personal kiss.)


Discuss with another student which of these statements is true and which one is false, and why you think so.


Students wrote their own truths and lies on separate pieces of paper.  
Here are some of the statements that were true:
"I was taught African dance in high school."
"I have an auto-immune disease."
"I went to Dubai and met a soccer player named Ronaldhino in a bar."
"I went on a safari trip/tour in Kenya, Africa."


Here are some of the statements that were false:
"I came to Chicago from Mexico when I was 3 years old."
"I played football from my freshman to senior year."
"I have traveled to Paris and Greece."


There was a brief discussion about
1. the article about the Bronx librarian who teaches kids in a homeless shelter
2. the statement by an Army veteran, also a Native American, at Standing Rock.

after which the homework paragraphs were collected


Statements about Gav, in Powers
True
1. Gav has curly hair
2. Gav can remember almost anything he reads.  (sometimes known as "photographic memory")
3.  Gav is intelligent.
4. Gav has "powers."
False
1. Gav is a good hunter. (No, he's good at fishing.)
2. Gav is boring.
3. Gav is the son of the Mother and the Father of Gavamand House.


***Concept Preps were collected.  No late Concept Preps will be accepted.***



Homework:
Chapter 9 of B. the G.   Fead pages 447-456
***Pay particular attention to pages 453 and 454, relevance fallacies, believability fallacies, and consistency fallacies.***
Do exercises 9.4, 9.5, 9.6




No comments:

Post a Comment